Having a good Kidney Diet is the first step to tackling kidney disease head on – so we thank you for visiting the Kidney Diet website.
The goal of this website is to help you understand the different options available for those suffering kidney disease, and how you can, by eating the right foods, significantly improve the quality of your kidney function and your lifestyle.
Most kidney conditions are a result of ongoing diet issues, or are amplified by eating the wrong foods. Western diets and lifestyle factors have assisted greatly in the significant increase in kidney disease cases worldwide over the last 40 years.
It is on this basis, that many individuals suffering kidney disease and renal failure at different stages have been able to maintain, repair and even reverse kidney disease symptoms.
So what Exactly is the Kidney Diet?
The diet is essentially a set of guidelines to follow which outlines the foods that one should and shouldn’t eat. Depending on the level and severity of kidney disease, also depends on the required foods that both should and shouldn’t be consumed.
Patients who are currently suffering an early stage of kidney disease are less likely to require the same advanced diet program as those who are suffering an end stage renal failure.
Determining the right diet and nutrient requirements is essential to restoring and maintaining healthy kidney function.
Benefits of a healthy diet plan include:
- Improved Overall Health – The diet is not only related to kidney disease, but also aids in overall health. In many cases, kidney disease is caused or exaggerated from other related organ issues or illnesses. The kidney diet helps improve overall health and thus helps fight against many common related issues usually associated with kidney disease.
- Relief of Symptoms – A reduction of common symptoms will occur whilst following the food regimen, and will help in recovery of the kidneys and other effected organs. These reduced symptoms will carry across in to improved blood work, creatine levels etc.
- Maintaining and Prevention of Fatality – Kidney disease in its later stages can be life threatening, and requires intervention with the correct treatment and the correct food regimen. Eating the correct foods can reduce risk of fatality in serious cases and help reverse some symptoms for improved quality of life.
This diet plan offers many other benefits in all areas of your health and wellbeing. As the primary structure of the diet eliminates many preservatives and chemicals found in todays western diets, it allows other areas of your health and body to take advantage of the added benefits such as healthier skin, increased energy, reduced fat storage, decrease in stress and depression to name a few.
The diet is based on the following principles:
- Reducing the amount of proteins you consume. This may be hard for many meat eaters, but this is critical to reverse the effects of kidney disease. There are many alternatives mentioned in Duncan’s program. Many foods can be substituted to give you different levels of protein, including certain parts of the animals.
- Avoid salty foods. Any foods that are high in MSG or Sodium are said to be illegal in the kidney diet. There are many alternatives to salt to help benefit taste, such as many herbs and natural eastern cooking.
- Limit Potassium intake. Again there are many alternatives in the program.
- Try to maintain a set fluid intake level. This also goes for foods that contain high amounts of fluids.
- Reduce Phosphorus levels. Phosphorus is another added stress to the kidneys and must be significantly reduced.
What Foods are included in the diet?
The diet is comprised into 2 different parts. Detoxifying the body, and feeding it with the correct nutrients.
Detoxifying is done in two ways:
- Eliminating all current foods and beverages
- Replacing with the correct foods and beverages to cleanse the body and organs
Slowly increasing your water intake on a daily basis will help cleanse and detoxify the kidneys. (Based on your stage and condition, it is important to first consult with your doctor) Toxin build up is the initial cause of failure and disease, so allowing a vehicle to flush the toxins out is very important.
Other ways of detoxifying your kidneys increasing your uptake of herbal teas such as turmeric, ginger root and dandelion, fruits such as grapes and cranberries, certain soups, and certain vegetables.
The diets principles work on alkalizing your body to ensure it is doing less work in its natural alkalizing process, and eradicating free radicles.
Foods that help with this are:
- Cauliflower – High in fiber, vitamin C and folate
- Bell Peppers – High in vitamins A, B6 and C. High in fiber and folic acid. Low in potassium.
- Cabbage – High in vitamins B6, C and K. High in phytochemicals.
- Raw Garlic – Very high in antioxidants. Reduces clotting.
- Apples – High in fibre.
Foods to avoid are:
- Black Beans
- Ice Cream
- Prune Juice
- Tomato Sauce
- Soft Drinks
- Sweet Potatoes/Yams
It is very important to keep potassium, phosphorus, protein and sodium intake should be kept to a bare minimum or eliminated completely. All are known factors for adding stress to the kidneys which results in high toxicity levels and low energy in the body. Eliminating these from the diet allows the kidney to operate at a much less stressed level, thus allowing inflammation and clotting to reduce.
Prevention, Precaution and Risks
The food groups listed above give you a great outline to what the diet involves and how it can help repair and reverse kidney illnesses.
Although this is usually the recommended approach for most cases, it is important to consult with your physician or nutritionist to help strucutre the correct approach for your condition.
Different patients at different levels will require different approaches to tackling diet and detoxification of the kidneys.
Duncan Capicchiano ND, is a fully Qualified Naturopath, Nutritionist, Herbalist, Medical Researcher and Author from Melbourne Australia has successfully treated 93% of kidney conditions. He has helped over 1,600 people worldwide and has written a step by step program called “The Kidney Disease Solution“.
The program, on top of the guide, offers 3 months free email support. We highly recommend you pick up a copy of it today.